A Specialist Associate is required to assist in the management of Research vessel and the facilities at St John’s Island National Marine Laboratory. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to support scientists in real-time environmental monitoring and field collection of invertebrates and specimens.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- supporting field work conducted on Research Vessel Galaxea;
- maintenance of research vessel;
- assist with management of diver activities and safety management;
- maintenance of field equipment and user training;
- assist with facility maintenance, safety and training for researchers using the marine lab facilities.
- Primary job location is: St John’s Island National Marine Laboratory.
- He/she will be responsible for the safe conduct of fieldwork conducted under SJINML, including diving and field sampling from research vessel.
- He/she will assist with maintenance of marine lab facilities and research vessel management.
- He/she will be assist in conducting training and registration of research divers using SJINML facilities.
- He/she will assist in loading, maintenance and servicing of all field and dive equipment at SJINML facility.
- The candidate is expected to gain competencies in the use of different marine science field equipment. He/she will assist in conducting researcher training and safety briefings.
- He/she will assist in reviewing safety risk assessments and plans for field research activities, in particular support of diver activities.
- Higher Nitec or Diploma in Life Science, preferably with subjects relating to maritime engineering, environmental science or biology.
- Possess Dive certification of at least Rescue Diver and above.
- Candidates with Port Limits Steersman or Port Limits Engine Driver (Third Class) will be an advantage.
- Class 3 driving licence and First Aider certification will be an advantage.
- Candidate should have a strong interest and good working knowledge of Singapore coastal waters and marine habitats.
- Candidate should have basic IT skills and use of software such as Microsoft Office.
- As the job requires the staff to actively interact with researchers, the candidate must possess good communication skills and a positive work attitude.
- Candidate should be self-motivated and able to work in a team.
For more information, or to apply, please visit the NUS Careers Portal here.