A Specialist Associate is required to assist in the management of Research vessel and the facilities at St John’s Island National Marine Laboratory. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to support scientists in real-time environmental monitoring and field collection of invertebrates and specimens.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Vessel maintenance and operations;
- maintenance and operation of field sampling equipment;
- field assistance, training and supervising researchers conducting field work on research vessel and SJINML;
- assist with facility maintenance and operations.
- Primary job location is at St John’s Island National Marine Laboratory.
- He/she will be responsible for regular maintenance and operations of the research vessel.
- He/She will assist with research vessel management and preparation for expeditions.
- He/she will assist in conducting researcher training and safety briefings, and oversee safe conduct during field trips.
- He/she will assist in reviewing safety risk assessments and planning for field research activities.
- He/she will assist to conduct training programs for field research.
- He/she will assist in maintenance and servicing of all field equipment.
- He/she will also assist with facilities management at SJINML, including servicing of aquaria and pump systems, as necessary.
- Higher NITEC or Diploma, with emphasis on mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Candidate with Port Limits Steersman or Port Limits Engine Driver (Third Class) is preferred.
- Class 3 driving licence and First Aider certification will be an advantage.
- Previous experience with boat operations and maintenance would be a strong advantage.
- Candidate must be able to swim. He/she should have a strong interest and knowledge of Singapore coastal waters and marine habitats.
- Basic IT skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office software is required.
- As staff will be required to support researchers, the candidate should possess good communication skill and positive work attitude.
- Candidate should be self-motivated and able to work in a team.
For more information, and to apply, please visit the NUS Careers Portal here.