DR JANI TANZIL
SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW
- Deputy Facility Director, St John’s Island National Marine Laboratory (2019 – present)
- Ph.D. in Computational Science, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2013)
- M.Sc. in Tropical Coastal Management, Newcastle University, United Kingdom (2007)
- B.Sc. in Biology, National University of Singapore, Singapore (2003)
- Coastal environment and ecosystem dynamics
- Coral sclerochronology and geochemistry to reconstruct past coral condition and reef environment
- Climate change and environment impacts on coral reefs
- Developing locally-relevant environmental response models for corals
- Coral resilience and adaptation
- 2019–2020: “Marine plants as mitigators of ocean acidification”. Role: Co-PI
- 2019–2020: “Beyond the Horizon: An Integrated Concept Plan for St John’s Island”. Role: PI
- 2018–2020: “Development of an adaptive framework for assessing risk to environmental stress: an energetics approach to safeguarding Singapore’s corals”. Role: PI
- 2019–2021: “Environmental history of coral reefs in Singapore”. Role: PI
- 2019–2021: “Humic acids in coral skeletons: developing a new proxy to estimate past seawater carbon concentrations”. Role: Collaborator
- 2018–2021: “Spatial and temporal distribution of cryptobenthic and postlarval reef fishes”. Role: Collaborator
- 2017–2018: “Bioavailable concentrations and sources of trace metals in targeted sites in Singapore coastal water, the Malacca Straits and the southern South China Sea”. Role: Co-PI
Tanzil JTI, Ooi SK, Tay SHX, Ow YX, Clews E, Chua SC, Bolton A, Raghavan S, Liong SY (In Press). Tropical Marine and Brackish Ecosystems. In Climate Change and Non-infectious Fish Disorders (Eds. Woo P, Iwami G). CAB International, UK.
Chen ML, Martin P, Goodkin N, Tanzil JTI, Murty S, Wiguna A (2019) An assessment of P speciation and P:Ca proxy calibration in coral cores from Singapore and Bali. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 267: 113–123
Tanzil JTI, Goodkin NF, Sin TM, Chen ML, Fabbro GN, Boyle EA, Lee AC and Toh KB (2019) Multi-colony coral skeletal Ba/Ca from Singapore’s turbid urban reefs: relationship with contemporaneous in-situ seawater parameters. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 250: 191–208.
Majewski JM, Switzer AD, Meltzner AJ, Parham PR, Horton BP, Bradley S, Pile J, Chiang H-W, Wang X-F, Ng C-T, Tanzil JTI, Müller M, Mujahid A (2017) Relative sea level proxy records from fossil coral microatolls in Western Borneo, South China Sea: Sea-level stability around 7 ka and possible Holocene faulting. The Holocene, doi: doi.org/10.1177/0959683618777061
Carrasco G, Chen M, Boyle EA, Tanzil JTI, Zhou K, Goodkin NF (2017) An update of the Pb isotope inventory in post leaded-petrol Singapore environments. Environmental Pollution 17: 31947–4
Tanzil JTI, Ng PKA, Tey YQ, Tan HYB, Yun YE, Huang D. 2017. A preliminary characterization of Symbiodinium in common corals from Singapore. Singapore National Academy of Science journal COSMOS, doi: 10.1142/S0219607716500014
Tanzil JTI, Lee JN, Brown BE, Quax R, Kaandorp JA, Lough JA, Todd PA. 2016. Luminescence and density banding patterns in massive Porites corals around the Thai-Malay Peninsula, Southeast Asia. Limnology and Oceanography, doi: 10.1002/lno.10350
Cantarero S, Tanzil JTI, Goodkin N. 2016. Simultaneous analysis of Ba and Sr to Ca ratios in scleractinian corals by inductively coupled plasma optical emissions spectrometry. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods, doi: 10.1002/lom3.10152
Guest JR, Low J, Tun K, Ng CM, Raingeard D, Cooper KE, Tanzil JTI, Todd PA, Toh TC, McDougald D, Chou LM, Steinberg PD. (2016) Coral community response to bleaching on a highly urbanised reef. Scientific Reports, doi:10.1038/srep20717
Tanzil JTI (2012) Bleaching susceptibility and growth characteristics of Porites lutea from the Andaman Sea, south Thailand. PMBC Research Bulletin 71: 49–56.
Tanzil JTI, Brown BE, Tudhope S, Dunne RP (2009) Decline in skeletal growth of the coral Porites lutea from the Andaman Sea, South Thailand between 1984 and 2005. Coral Reefs 28: 519 – 528
Loh TL, JTI Tanzil, LM Chou (2006) Preliminary study of community development and scleractinian recruitment on fibreglass artificial reef units in the sedimented waters of Singapore. Aquatic Conservation: Freshwater and Marine Ecosystems 16: 61 – 76
Tanzil JTI, Brown BE, Dunne RP, Lee JN, Kaandorp JA, Todd PA (2013) Regional decline in growth rates of massive Porites corals in Southeast Asia. Global Change Biology 10: 3011–3023.