DR NEO MEI LIN
Dr. Neo Mei Lin is a familiar face at the St John’s Island National Marine Laboratory, having started her research work on the giant clams since 2006.
Her current research expertise lies in the mariculture of giant clams, experimental marine ecology, and marine conservation.
Mei Lin is also an advocate for science communication and to bring a voice for the conservation of giant clams. Outside of research, she actively volunteers in local conservation groups to promote marine conservation messages and educate fellow volunteers.
Area Of Interest
- Giant clams (Bivalvia: Tridacninae)
- Experimental marine ecology
- Invertebrate larval biology and ecology
- Marine biodiversity and conservation
- Science communications
- 2013 – 2018: Restocking of giant clams in Singapore
- 2015 – present: Prioritising conservation for giant clams – An trifecta assessment based on threat, phylogenetic and functional diversity
- 2016 – present: Phylogeography of giant clam populations in the South China Sea and East Asia Sea
- 2016 – present: Development of model organism cultures (sea urchin, polychaete worm, ascidian)
- 2016 – present: Evolutionary history and population genetics of coral reefs in Singapore
- Neo, ML, CCC Wabnitz, RD Braley, GA Heslinga, C Fauvelot, S Van Wynsberge, S Andréfouët, C Waters, AS-H Tan, ED Gomez, MJ Costello & PA Todd (In Press) Giant clams (Bivalvia: Cardiidae: Tridacninae): A comprehensive update of species and their distribution, current threats and conservation status. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review, Volume 55 (July 2017). [Invited paper]
- Neo, ML & JKY Low (2017) First observations of Tridacna noae (Röding, 1798) (Bivalvia: Heterodonta: Cardiidae) in Christmas Island (Indian Ocean). Marine Biodiversity. DOI:10.1007/s12526-017-0678-3
- Reimer, JD, ME Alves Santos, H Kise, ML Neo, CA Chen & K Soong (2017) Diversity of Zoantharia (Anthozoa: Hexacorallia) at Dongsha Atoll in the South China Sea. Regional Studies in Marine Science. DOI:10.1016/j.rsma.2017.02.006
- Teo, A, JR Guest, ML Neo, K Vicentuan & PA Todd (2016) Quantification of coral sperm collected during a synchronous spawning event. PeerJ 4: e2180.
- Neo, ML (2016) Chapter 5: More than Just A Pretty Mantle. In: Chan, J, S Sim and R Tan (eds.), Bugs and Quarks: Stories from the Asian Scientist Writing Prize 2015. Pp. 55-60.
Selected Media Stories
- NUS News, 4 Apr 2017: “A soft spot for giant clams”
- TODAY, 19 Feb 2017: “Marine Biologist fourth S’porean to have own TED talk”
- Thomson Reuters, 27 Jun 2016: “South China Sea reefs “decimated” as giant clams harvested in bulk – Reuter News”
- World Economic Forum, Agenda, 22 Jun 2016: “Q&A: What has the panda got that giant clam hasn’t?” [XxXX series of interviews with female scientists]
- Asian Scientist Magazine, 16 Jun 2016: “Asia’s Rising Scientists: Neo Mei Lin”
- Science (Vol. 351, Issue 6271), 22 Jan 2016: “In Depth: Shell trade pushes giant clams to the brink” Pp. 323-324. [Link]